ECONOMIC PORT AND NATURAL BEACH
The history of the town of Tarnos with almost 12 000 inhabitants is closely linked to that of the River Adour. Until the Middle Ages the river flowed into the ocean further north (Capbreton, Vieux Boucau). Tarnos became the estuary when Bayonne diverted the river and permanently confined the river mouth in 1578. The development of an industrial port (steelworks) led to important economic growth from 1880 to 1965 and the creation of jobs for several thousand workers. Most of these lived in the Cité des Forges which is today classed as a listed district. Although new rolling mills are currently being installed, high technology companies have now superseded iron transformation activities.
The “Océaniques” festival held at the end of July in the Nature park is the highlight of an all year round cultural programme. The only thing missing was a mediatheque, which was recently built next to the town-hall. The holiday camp, campsite, gîtes (self-catering cottages) and chambres d’hôtes (B&B) provide comfortable accommodation whatever the time of year. Finally, local roads and the public bus network shared with both Bayonne and Biarritz all provide easy access for visitors.
ACCOMMODATION IN TARNOS
- CAMPSITES IN TARNOS AND SEIGNANX
- HOLIDAY RESORT IN TARNOS AND SEIGNANX
- BED AND BREAKFASTS IN TARNOS AND SEIGNANX