Cities & villages
The Seignanx (Landes) is a group of 8 villages separated from the Basque countries by the Adour river. It’s a coloured country where the green of the forest skirts with the blue of the water thanks to the ocean, the river Adour and the lakes. This is also the ochre of the land, the yellow of the dunes, the gorse, the broom and of course the sun. It’s a location where nature awaits you, with its cycle- and footpaths and bridleways along the countryside, the forest and the coast.
5th largest town of the Landes, Tarnos is located in the far south-west of the department, at the mouth of the Adour, and the gateway to the Basque country. It is the point of departure for 106 km of fine, sandy beaches which are the pride and joy of the Landes coast of the Landes.
This pretty seaside resort (with around 4500 inhabitants) and its 2 km of beaches was a small village in the past, when its main activity was the pine industry and pine cones. Today, Ondres proposes a wide range of accommodation, with quality services and activities.
It is a county town and the largest municipality in the Seignanx area. Geographically speaking, it consists of 2 different areas: the Barthes (wetlands) on the banks of the Adour and the Séqué (uplands). Extreme landscapes which will delight all nature lovers.
It's in Saint-Laurent-de-Gosse that the Eiffel's bridge connects the Landes to the basque country (across the Adour). There's also a gothic church, the massive river's houses... and famous farms where we savour the duck : Foie-gras, magret, confit...
This small, rural village at the side of the Adour offers a breathtaking view of the Pyrenees and the Basque region from its gothic church. You will also be surprised by its locks, built by the Dutch to control the water from the surrounding fields and the Barthes.
Between 1884 and 1910, the son of Napoleon III was the mayor of this village which overlooks the Orx Marsh, a vast area protected by the Coastal Preservation Centre where the protected fauna and flora live in perfect harmony in a natural environment.
The architectural heritage of this country village is surprisingly rich, like the Tilery. This unusual building has 2 Ottoman type main parts linked together by a semi-circular corn drier. Massive and ancient homesteads can be seen whilst walking the Biaudos' pathways.
Canton’s easternmost town, its name probably comes from the Latin « Via Rotarum », meaning road suitable for vehicles referring to the wide road which once used to cross it (RD 817). Its Romanesque church was a pilgrims’ stopover on the way to Santiago de Compostela.